Calastus Expedition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Calastus Expedition

Warhammer 40k RPG group for info aggregation.

Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus

Iris from Deck B
    Iris from Deck B

Character Sheet
    Character Name: Iris from Deck B
    Wounds:
    Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus Left_bar_bleue12/12Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus Empty_bar_bleue  (12/12)
    Fate:
    Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus Left_bar_bleue4/4Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus Empty_bar_bleue  (4/4)

Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus Empty Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus

Post by Iris from Deck B Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:13 pm

//ACCESSING SYSTEM CACHE
    ++LOGFILE1.6.1++
    ++LEVEL STAT: 1 [INITIAL]++
    ++CONSOLE ACCESS HISTORY 5_251_930M37++
    QUERY?
    RECORDS/AZOC_SECTOR/SPIRITUS_INVICTUS/CASSUS
    //FILE NOT FOUND
    input> =I=********=I=
    ++WARNING: AMBER LEVEL CLEARANCE REQUIRED++
    Verification: delta-31669 scorpius
    Accessing...
    ++ Clearance Level: Recognised ++
    Welcome, Inquisitor [REDACTED]
    ++Inquisitorial records from the archives of [REDACTED] of the Ordo Xenos:
    SECURITY CLEARANCE LEVEL AMBER DELTA-RHO, CLASSIFICATION THIRTEEN. FOR INQUISITORIAL REPRESENTATIVE'S EYES ONLY, UPON ASSUMPTION OF THEIR SACRED ROLE.++

Greetings, Acolytes. This is [REDACTED]. I trust you have not become so used to agricultural work that you have forgotten your true employer.
    The time has come for you to act on behalf of the safety of the Imperium. Your mission, as with all others, is of utmost secrecy, and under no circumstances should you reveal your identities and whom you serve.
    Your target is Shrine World Cassus in the Azoc Sector. All information pertinent to the planet’s culture and geography is contained in the briefing below. There is a voidship by the name of the Steel Thrush docked at the northernmost spaceport on your current world. You are to board it under the pretense of evaluating Cassus’ undeveloped landmasses for agricultural purposes. An equipment manifest has already been drafted to legitimize this claim.
    Upon landing, you are to make contact with Iver Forth, a sergeant of the local Arbites. He is aware of your true purpose on the planet and will assist you to the best of his ability.
    Your mission objectives are as follow:
    • Perhaps most interesting to Lord Icarus, a small vessel from his home world escaped the Naval blockade before the firefight between Imperial and Xenos forces broke out. We were unable to establish a trace on the ship, but have detected 2 ships matching the model and engine signature to the fugitive craft docked on Cassus. With the Azoc sector being adjacent to the conflict zone, it is not unlikely that they would have taken up business in this area before leaving the Segmentum altogether. You are to determine if any of the suspects are the accused and otherwise report corruption to the local Arbites. The ships in question include:
    o The Shield of Absolution is an interdiction vessel commanded by Imperial Guard Sergeant Eric Alliva. In times of peace, he has taken to hiring himself and a few soldiers out as protection for the shipments for the South Wind Trade Coalition. While this may seem innocuous, the Sergeant and his crew are in abnormally high demand, and many of their shipments have no documentation.

o The Flight of the Monolith is captained by a man named Lucarious Giusseppe, a distinguished member of the Insomni Rex Rogue Trader Dynasty.  the attention of several customs officers in this sector. While greasing the palms of local magistrates may be enough to allow their questionable cargo to go unquestioned, but not word of their smuggling.

• Secondly, the Western Continent of Cassus is yet undeveloped. Imperial records indicate that several colonization efforts have been launched at this location, but none have taken hold. You are to determine what became of these colonization efforts  

You have your orders. May the God Emperor protect you.

END TRANSMISSION
    Iris from Deck B
    Iris from Deck B

Character Sheet
    Wounds:
    Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus Left_bar_bleue12/12Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus Empty_bar_bleue  (12/12)
    Fate:
    Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus Left_bar_bleue4/4Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus Empty_bar_bleue  (4/4)

Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus Empty Re: Log Files: Germinatua Imperativus

Post by Iris from Deck B Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:14 pm

//ACCESSING SYSTEM CACHE
    ++LOGFILE1.6.1++
    QUERY?
    //FILE NOT FOUND
    input> =I=********=I=
    Accessing...
    SECURITY CLEARANCE LEVEL AMBER DELTA-RHO, CLASSIFICATION THIRTEEN. FOR INQUISITORIAL REPRESENTATIVE'S EYES ONLY, UPON ASSUMPTION OF THEIR SACRED ROLE.++
    Astropathic duct: Bastion psykanna duct 73
    Received: 0 150 857M37
    Additional Personnel: Medicae Staff [ONE (1) Magos Biologos Chirugen Tech Priest-Gayle, RETINUE-LEVEL CLEARANCE]
    Subject: Findings of Western Continent Research Outpost
    ++Topic: Medical Examination of Infected Staff++
    ++Attached Document: Post-Mutation Journal of Kulem Killian, Scholastica Psykana
    Entry:1
    I feel unbelievably gross. I've been splattered with human insides, seen my own brain, felt Nightmares from the Warp try to worm their way into my mind, and none of that was this gross.
    I can see the little bastards under my skin. They aren't wriggling around anymore, but...every time I lift my arm, they coil around my bones. When a cool breeze hits me my flesh tightens and I can see the horrible ropiness of them. The worst part is that I know they're ALIVE; they didn't just sneak in and assimilate my bits; they are ALIVE and conscious in there and I'm just feeding them instructions like some sort of horrible reverse-daemonhost.
    The Cogboys are telling me not to pick at them. It's hard because my hair's finally starting to grow back and whenever I go to itch it, I feel their little bodies. And then ALL of me is itchy.
    I can't eat. Actually, no, I CAN physically eat; the monster that lives in my face can chew things just fine, but feeling the tasteless pulp run down the tube connected to my gullet...it doesn't stay down.
    I can't take this. I want to scream and cry and slam my body into the bulkheads until my limbs fall off, but I'm pretty sure the head Cogboy's got pict recorders in here and will send people in to shoot me if I start acting weird.
    I shouldn't even exist. I'm no expert on the Emperor or the Omnissiah or whoever, but I know how the Imperium feels about mutants, and the second I leave this lab I'm marked for death. Every creak of the walls in this place turns into a masked guy holding an Executor Pistol.
    And then there's "Lord Dantholomew Dannucus" over there, that smug little grox shit. How the hell does he get by with a little blood in his vomit, where I turn into a walking Xeno abomination? That little stunt back at the ziggurat damn near gave me an aneurysm. He's lucky it didn't do worse! I mean, he HAD to have felt what went on in that laboratory, right?
    He's a spoiled little boy who runs around screwing his allies over without ever taking responsibility for it! No wonder his family didn't tell him they were dealing with the Greyskins; he'd have probably botched the business deal they had going, which, funnily enough would have been the first useful thing he's done for the Imperium in his entire life!
    I miss Thrax. Food was lousy and hard to get, there was either a radiation storm or bandit raid every week, and you never stopped being sunburnt. But at least life was simple. Protect the Clan. Don't go scrap hunting alone. Survive...I'd be a Clan Elder by now If I was still there. Sure, having a life expectancy of 25 isn't great, but statistically speaking I'd have been dead before all THIS shit happened.
    I don't know where I'm going with this anymore.
    Iris from Deck B
    Iris from Deck B

Character Sheet
    Wounds:
    Fate:

Post by Iris from Deck B Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Entry 2:

I've forgone the Cogboy's offer of a voice modulator and have been slowly re-teaching myself how to talk. It's been really frustrating, but now I only clamp the tongue-like creature between my lower mouth parts (mandibles, I think they're called) on words with the letter "L" in them. It'll retreat deeper into my mouth after that and I'll need to spend the next few minutes mentally coaxing it back out to try again.

I woke up from a nightmare the other day and the temperature in the room had dropped enough for my breath to form ice crystals. The guys in the Black Ships warned that unprompted voodoo brainshit was either "an indication of bad mental discipline" or a sign that things were about to go very, very wrong. Either way it meant that you were probably going to be shot. That should worry me a lot more than it does, but the nightmare was just re-living the deaths of a few million Xenos in that damned forest. It's scary and painful in ways that I understand better than anyone ever should, but all that's thousands of years in the past, right? It can't do anything but make me lose a little sleep.

What happened after that nightmare was much, much worse. I went to take a leak, and...well, let's just say that the parasites were a lot more...thorough than I thought they were. Kulem Jr. never liked the cold, but now he likes it a whole lot less. I'm glad I had the chance to sire some children before I left Thrax, because Ancestors know if I can even have sex without killing someone now.

That's the one thing you never really think about when you take this job (or when it takes you, haha). Death? Sure, that's a given. You make peace with getting your head blown off, being eaten alive, or sucked out into the Void. What you're never ready for is the dismemberment, the disfigurement, and never seeing Home again. There are life experiences that you take for granted and then lose forever. I don't know if there's a retirement for the Inquisition that doesn't involve a burial service, but I'm afraid of what else I'm going to lose before I get there.
    Iris from Deck B
    Iris from Deck B

Character Sheet
    Wounds:
    Fate:

Post by Iris from Deck B Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Entry 3:

I woke up 58 hours ago inside of a giant machine. The Cogboys assured me that it was only a bio-auspex and that was perfectly safe, but if I had a Throne for every time one of my friends died saying something similar about a giant hunk of seemingly innocuous metal, I could afford to buy a lot more friends.
    Needless to say that they when they first pitched the idea to me, I told them in no uncertain terms that I wasn’t doing it and that I’d tear out all of the abominable box’s workings with my brain if I got within 10 meters of it. That was when I felt the needle in my neck and the world went black. Old Machines take you, Gayle. Sleep with your mechanical eye snake on tonight, or you’ll wake up looking at the inside of your own ass.
    The shiny bastards had a null field established in the room with me, so in addition to being drugged and strapped to the table, my head felt like it was filled with cement. The head Cogboy (I think his name’s Brule) kept gleefully telling me all the things they were learning over the com. Apparently, a few of my organs are separate organisms that can survive on their own. “This will come in handy if you’re ever blown to bits; they can probably survive on their own until we can put you back together!”
    Inquisitor [REDACTED], glass this planet.
    I NEED another mission. Undercover work, exploration, deploy me to an ACTIVE WAR ZONE; anything to get me out of this lab. Head Cogboy’s having a little bit too much fun poking me with his shiny bits and I get the feeling that unless I’m approved for active service soon, I’m going to get vivisected; he won’t be able to help himself.
    Iris from Deck B
    Iris from Deck B

Character Sheet
    Wounds:
    Fate:

Post by Iris from Deck B Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Entry 4:

The hits just keep coming.

I slept on the floor last night. Beds are fine, but a lifetime of curling up on desert hardpan gets you used to a certain level of comfort. Only downside is that you sometimes wake up with a stiff back.

The Head Cogboy wasn't going to be back for "routine testing" for the next few hours, so I decided that I wasn't going to bother with the decontamination shower attached to my "Large Specimen Room." I knew the hospital wing of the lab complex had a hot tub for soaking injured limbs, so I figured I'd just climb into that and let the tension work itself out.

Filling the thing with water was easy enough, but I poked at the display for 10 minutes and couldn't get the bubbles going, so I gave up and decided that having a soak was just fine.

I was up to my neck when I realized that something was wrong. My muscles were spasming and i started to thrash my limbs uncontrollably. My guts started squirming inside me and I felt a sharp, distinct pain somewhere between my ribcage and abdomen.

I jumped out of the tub and started screaming for the Chirogen on duty, and I was halfway down the hall before I noticed that everything had stopped. I went back to the tub, thinking I'd just had an attack or something, but after dipping more than my leg in everything started up again. Looks like the little shits are afraid of water. Hope [REDACTED] doesn't send us anywhere near an ocean.

After I got chewed out by several Cogboys for "misappropriating delicate medical instruments," they grudgingly agreed to check me for abnormalities. Apparently that sharp pain in my gut was my "spleen" detaching itself from the rest of me in an attempt to escape. They think it would have tunneled its way out of my flesh if I hadn't gotten out when I did.

It's not all bad, I suppose. Most of the standing water I've been around in my life wasn't safe to swim in, so I never learned how. Can't miss what you've never had.
    Iris from Deck B
    Iris from Deck B

Character Sheet
    Wounds:
    Fate:

Post by Iris from Deck B Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:22 pm

//ACCESSING BUCKLES MEMORY ALPHA
    ++LOGFILE 2.7.3++
    ++LEVEL STAT: 2 [STREAMING]++
    //FOLDER NOT FOUND
    input>audio> =I=Come on, you hovering little…fine; here’s your powerpack.=I=
    ++PASSWORD ACCEPTED++
    Input>audio>=I=New recording. Encrypt on completion.=I=
    Loading…pictrecorder.exe
    Initializing...

Entry 5:

I don’t think I’m ever going to get that fluid out of my ears.
    Last thing I remember is getting FLOODED with the raw stuff of the Warp and then passing out. I was really surprised. It didn’t hurt. At all. I don’t know what it felt like. It was kind of like experiencing the memories of those dead Ternati, only from everywhere in the universe at once, but it wasn’t scary or overwhelming this time. I mean, it was MASSIVE and super intimidating, but it all just sort of drifted through my brain for a minute and I had perfect understanding of…something. It was gone as fast as it had been there. I don’t know whether it was that or the Xenobox that did it to me, but I can see the power now. Smell it. Even taste it if the current’s right. I can “see” what happens to the warp as I channel it, or when a voidship on the other side of the planet lights up its Warp drive. I watch the ebb and flow. And sometimes just from watching I get these amazing ideas, stuff that I would try if I was a little braver or knew just a little bit more, but the idea is in my head and for the brief moment it crosses my consciousness I’m certain it can work. I had a long time in the tube to think about it, and as soon as this meeting with the planetary Governess is over, I’m going to have a little bit more.
    I feel kinda left out. I know getting accused of treason and having to fight an engine of death crafted from a former acquaintance isn’t exactly a vacation, but damned if I didn’t want to get a crack or two in at that shit Tegrin. Instead I slept through everything but the ending. Whatever you did, you pathetic fuck, you’d better hope it was permanent.

I’m pretty impressed with Buckles; any floating skull that can impersonate me in all of my beefy goodness for several straight days without getting caught is a valuable bit of machinery. Add to that the convenient recordings she’s been taking to repeatedly save our hides, and she’s probably the most valuable member of this whole group. You’ll outlive us all, you little scrapmuncher.
    I feel strange saying this, but I’m going to miss Bure. He and Gayle are the only people who’ve managed to look at me with anything other than disgust. I know his end goal with this has been furthering his career as the biggest brain in that box full of nutjob toaster fuckers, but he helped me feel more comfortable in my “skin.”
    I wish he’d have stuck around long enough for me to tell him about my mental connection with the bugs. I don’t know how extensive it is or if I can even do it twice, but if I can figure out a way to control of the bugs and stuff beyond just moving my limbs…well, I’m not going to hold my breath.
    I’m going to make myself scarce. The Governess’ ship just started docking with us, and I still don’t have any clothes other than that Mechanicus cloak Bure gave me. Innocent or not, one look at me and we’re getting hit with so much Dakka we’ll become a new sun. I’m looking forward to a nap in the tube, anyway-maybe after a few days I’ll be more than just a skeleton with ribbons hanging off of him.
    Iris from Deck B
    Iris from Deck B

Character Sheet
    Wounds:
    Fate:

Post by Iris from Deck B Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:25 pm

//ACCESSING SYSTEM CACHE
    ++LOGFILE1.6.1++
    QUERY?
    //FILE NOT FOUND
    input> =I=********=I=
    Accessing...
    Astropathic duct: Bastion psykanna duct 73 (Distinction: Adrian Hughs)
    Received: 6 150 857M37
    Priority: URGENT
    Subject: Cassus: Investigative Report
    ++Topic: Xenos Horrificus Identification/Infestation, Revelation of the Archenemy++
    ++Attached Document: [1] Xenos Horrificus Ternati, [2]Journal of Kulem Killian, Scholastica Psykana
    I regret to inform you that Cassus and perhaps this entire system may be in mortal danger. We are besieged by xenos, traitors, and the powers of Chaos. We are wounded, running short on supplies, and have been forced to reveal ourselves as agents of the Inquisition. The following dictates the events since my last transmission:
    I’m reporting from med bay of the Cera Alarum. It’s not that different from the last medbay I was in, thanks to the attentions of Bure.
    I have been much too focused on my disturbing transformation into a Xenos mutant abomination. It made me blind to the greater evil lurking behind the seeming peace of this planet. I shall face whatever high doom the Emperor sees fit for me and my monstrous heretical form when it comes, but until then I must face the coming darkness with the strength my remaining humanity can grant me.
    Within the few short months I spent being picked at by the cogboys, the Western continent belched forth its terrible secret. Whatever damage we caused to the mysterious Ternati (species identified by Kulem Killian and Hamar Lock) Xenotech within their ancient ruin loosened its hold upon the insectoid species. The larger forms began secreting a thick slime that allowed them to wriggle over the oceans towards the Hive.
    I was permitted to travel in the open with my comrades unrestrained, save for a crude anti-psi device anchored to my skull. Their fear of Wytches is well founded, but my Psykana training cannot so easily be taken from me as my flesh.
    While preparing to retake and restore the Ziggurat, we made contact with an Imperial Navy Captain by the name of Flynt; the Xenoarchaeologist’s brother. Happy to find out his sibling was alive, Flynt offered the services of himself and his fleet, though he was aware of our colorful history with the Hive Nobility.
    Although who isn’t at this point?
    Bure and Gayle were given their own mission; some other high-ranking cogboy set out with a squad to get ahold of the Xenotech. Poor bastards have no idea what they’re in for. We’ve written them all off as dead, but the cogboys have a hard on for the shiny bits and weapons.
    My navigation and cartography of the Western continent allowed the airships to find the Ziggurat fairly easily, but we required their heavy firepower to clear a landing zone. The ground was writhing with…me. Everywhere you looked there were carapace creatures scuttling over terrain as the ropy, muscle-like ones banded together to stretch towards our craft.
    The second we were inside of the Ziggurat I felt…wrong. The entire ruin’s psychic network was screaming in my brain, and I could feel the presence of the Archenemy radiating from the basement lab, stronger than before. Whatever was keeping the insects out of the building before was gone; they were nesting in the walls, dropping our soldiers by half before we made it down the stairs. We found the remains of the Cogboy’s party. Everything but the shiny parts had been eaten and replaced, but they little monsters were lugging them around clumsily, unable to properly grip the metal. Didn’t stop a few of them from taking a few lasgun shots at us, which I truly hope was a misfire. If the Queens of these creatures are intelligent enough to use weaponry, I don’t relish the thought of what happens when someone inevitably fails to contain them.
    Bure and his soldiers were…phenomenal. Even on Thrax, there were few warriors who would, much less could wade into that fray with a melee weapon and walk out naked, grinning, and laughing their ass off. I imagine the metal helps, but that’s still something that’ll stick with me for a while.
    The basement lab was much worse than we could have imagined. Though not visible to the naked eye, my psykic senses could detect the Warp everywhere. The walls between the Materium and Immaterium were weakening, and already there were half-ghosts of what lay Beyond crawling in the shadows.
    Using the same technique that I had previously to turn on the ruin’s lights, I interfaced with a xenos cogitator. It was…magnificent. Geometry and color beyond the scope of human sense; archives and databases as expansive as space itself; weapons, designs, documentation, staff profiles, I COULD SEE IT ALL. I knew EVERYTHING, and I wanted to know more.
    Upon later discussion with Hamar, who helped me organize the foreign thoughts into something Human and understandable, we discovered that the species who built these ruins are the very same as the ones who I now call my flesh. This report includes a full diagnostic of what I know.
    After interfacing with the cogitator, I…knew how the ruin’s psykic machinery was repressing the Ternati insect forms, and that this incursion of the Warp was a remnant of what had damned their species to fall from higher consciousness. However, as the Veil continued to weaken, my own bugs began to shrivel and die. My comrades were differently affected as the whispers of what lies Beyond infected their minds, causing them to see each other as enemies instead of allies. I couldn’t do much to help them, but by the grace of the Ancestors and the Emperor, they managed to snap out of it on their own. I gave them instructions on what they needed to do to fix whatever Iccarus broke last time he was there.
    At this point the Warp Incursion became a small Tear, and was threatening to become a full-blown RIFT. Body parts were dropping off of me in droves, the raw stuff of the Warp began to pour into the room, and something…horrible came with it. I have seen and fought the twisted, reality-defying forms of the old machines, and this monstrosity could have been their twin; cloaked in flesh and smoke instead of rusting metal. I’m ashamed to admit I balked. This was the nightmare from every “bedtime story” told to me on the Black Ships; that which dragged families and friends of psykers into the Warp before feeding on them or possessing their bodies.
    Flynt, to his credit, remained firm. After an inspiring speech, he drew a knife and charged it. This should have been suicide. He tore the damn thing’s…head? Clean off. One normal human man with naught but a piece of metal decapitated the fiend in one swing. TWICE in that day I had seen acts of incredible courage with complete disregard for their own safety. Whether they considered the possible ramifications of their actions, I don’t know. I asked them later and they said that “their faith in the God Emperor/Omnissiah left no room for doubt.”
    I have been lax in my courage. I have faltered in the face of my enemy. I have allowed myself to become corrupted by them.
    No more. If these men can selflessly risk their own skin in service to the Imperium, then I can risk the hide of some filthy Xenos.
    I was able to direct the energy from the Warp rift through the psykically resonant materials in the ruins, and the entire place hummed to life; scouring away the shadows and lesser Warp entities. The tear shrank until I almost couldn’t feel it anymore. As long as we can keep Iccarus away from the Xenotech, it will likely continue to feed on it until it’s fully stablized. I have no idea how long it’s going to take, but it felt like it had enough juice to go for a while.
    Unfortunately, at this point, I passed out. From what Bure and Gayle tell me, all insects not functioning as vital organs had either died or fled, and the ones that were left were strongly considering it. Neither of them will tell me how they kept me alive long enough to get back to the drop ship, but Bure got a hard glint in his metal eyes whenever I brought it up.
    Note: Something’s weird about Iccarus. He hasn’t been the same since the incident. His arrogance and narcissism have always been a right pain in my ass, but now he keeps referring to our shared resources as “his.” If this is how he reacts to almost dying, this job is going to make everyone want to kill him.
    I apologize in advance for the rest of the report; I needed to spend a good portion of the next week in a life support tube, so my knowledge of events is somewhat spotty. Iccarus or Gayle will know more.
    Or you could ask Buckles. Not sure when “she” showed up. Creepy little thing started following us around sometime after I got back, but the whole crew’s taken a shine to her. She’s apparently been recording everything we do ever since. This is troublesome for me, given that my disguises will occasionally lapse, but apparently it’s also gotten us out of some sticky situations.
    From what I heard after waking up in the tube, we’d been accused of high treason by none other than Lord Tegrin. I knew I should have shot him before I blasted him out the window. No idea how he survived that fall, but he had managed to convince the rest of the Lords that we were corrupt liars working to bring the Hive to its knees. The ship was taken into custody above the planet and everyone but myself (who was hidden away in the lab; thank the Emperor and the Ancestors nobody got curious) and Gayle, who claimed that he needed to stay plugged into the ship in order to keep it in the air.
    My understanding of what happened on Cassus was that Iccarus boldly demanded a trial by combat. I knew this place wasn’t as civilized as it claimed to be. That was pretty much every trial back home. The bad news is that Tegrin brought along our contact from the Arbites as his champion. She’d been lobotomized and trussed up with so many weapons and metal bits that all she could do was drool and shoot. Cogboys called it an acro-flatulent.
    To make a long story short, we won, and afterwards Tegrin did something that invoked a MASSIVE shift in the Warp, killing himself in the process. That’s what woke me up in the tube. The man had sewn his lies pretty well, because the second everyone got back to the ship (with a new Cogboy in tow; where do they keep getting these guys?) the Navy ships in orbit were ordered to open fire on us. We tried to negotiate and got humiliated pretty bad by another captain and his Cogboy. Why we didn’t just shoot back, I’ll never know. We could’ve probably blown a hole in the blockade before they annihilated us. Instead we got boarded. At that point, Bure figured that them seeing me wasn’t going to change their opinion about our guilt either way, so he flushed my tube and we went in to fight…only to have him clean house all over again. That shiny metal bastard is a BEAST.
    Things were looking bad, so we had to finally play our trump card and reveal our status as Inquisition. It was received about as well as when you first told us, [REDACTED]. The planetary governess was willing to discuss why we were here, though, and so she joined us in orbit above Cassus.
    As her ship docked with the Cera, I could feel the fragile sentience that exists within the ship panicking as a powerful Warp entity punctured it and flooded the ship with its dark energies. I was in the lab, but the comms system was left active, so I heard everything.

The planetary governess had been possessed by a Daemon of Chaos. It offered us deals in exchange for cooperation and promises to ignore it, but all members of the crew stood fast and rebuked her. I was proud. Maybe their exposure to the Warp gave taught them something. However, the daemon didn’t seem overly concerned with anything we had to say; melting one of our crew’s guns before departing its vessel. I suspect that it has plans for us. We got out of that entirely too easily.
    The Governess has regained consciousness, but has lost the use of her legs. She has been relieved of duty and is in being taken to be…excouraiated, I think the term is. I suppose most would think her lucky to be alive, but I know better. I’ve seen what happens to people who must be “cleansed,” and even if that doesn’t kill her, the memories of being in thrall to that…thing will haunt her for the rest of her life. Most psykers will welcome the bolt round to the head.
    I’m not sure how long the Governess has been under the influence of the Daemon, but upon examination of the ship she arrived in, it may very well have been long before we arrived on Cassus. The Cogboys indentified it as centuries old, and it had fallen into extreme disrepair. It reminded me a lot of the Rust Tombs on Thrax; and whatever hair I had left was constantly on end. It was clear from the beginning that there was at least one other Warp entity on the ship. The stench and feel of raw sewage filled the air and choked our movements, distorting the very fabric of the ship as we moved.
    We came upon what I’m assuming was once the captain’s quarters. Poor scrub looked like he’d died on his bed. Apparently not. His corpse rose up to attack us, and then Logos set him, me, and most of the room on fire. Blessedly, a quick blast from my own abilities managed to remove all flaming materials, and the entity possessing the body fled to somewhere else in the ship. It didn’t go far-the rotted stuff in the kitchen coagulated and filled the hallway after we failed to disrupt it with a grenade. It attempted to swallow me in its giant, foul maw. Gayle thankfully managed to dispatch it with some well placed Plasma Gun shots, although the backsplash came dangerously close to taking us with it.

After tearing open a few bulkheads, we came to what the Cogboys assume may have been a control room. From the moment the door was opened, I felt the presence of the entity inside. I tried to warn them, but the cogboys’ love of ancient tech superseded their caution and they ventured in. Gayle went so far as to connect himself to the machines, and I immediately felt whatever was there leech into his mind. Seeing the plasma gun in his hands and the looks on the other men’s faces, I closed the bulkhead behind them. If they couldn’t find a way to exercise it, I wasn’t letting it get off the ship. On Thrax, the Mechanicus symbol is the only indication some of us have between peaceful Explorator crews and the OId Machines; and that ancient ship could become a doomsday weapon when under a possessed Gayle’s control.
    Before I could radio the surrounding Naval fleet to frag the vessel, I heard a Longlas shot from Iccarus. I re-entered the room to see Gayle missing one of his gooey eyes and about to take the other one. He wasn’t a danger to Icarus or Logos, but they were preparing to execute him. I threw my body in front of their weapons and tackled Gayle to the ground. I wasn’t going to let him die if I could help it; I knew he could snap out of it if he had some more time.

I never got to find out what happened. I didn’t have enough time to fully recover from what happened in the Ziggurat, and Icarus, knowing I likely wouldn’t survive, shot me in the back and knocked me unconscious. He detonated Gayle’s Plasma Gun, obliterating my skeleton and destroying Gayle’s last remaining fleshy bits and some of his metal ones.
    By some miracle, we both lived. Having failed to kill us even at point-blank range, Icarus decided that we were worth keeping after all. Something about “not breaking his toys.” I have since regrown most of myself with insect transplants from the planet’s surface, but Gayle hasn’t been so lucky. He’s sustained damage that won’t heal, and it’s going to cost an arm and a leg to replace his…arms and legs.
    Beneath us, Cassus had fallen into disorder. A plague of walking sleep had struck, causing civilians to wander from their homes and to their deaths. The population was dropping in droves. Even after mustering the PDF and declaring martial law, we’ve got maybe a week before every last one of them is dead. The nobility are terrified and are holing up with their private armies; the Underhive is spewing into the Middle, angry and using the panic to revolt. Worse still, the local Astra Telepathica installment has warned of a massive upheaval in the Warp, indicative of some massive intelligence hurtling towards this system in real space. We have a plan, but we’re short on time and resources. We might lose this one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:18 am